Thursday, May 7, 2009

Skylights

Not too long ago, I was driving into the mountain roads north-west of Denver. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and the temperature was—well, perfect. And, of course, I was in the perfect mood….especially after jamming down to the Eli Young band singing “Always the Love Songs” in my little Rav4.
A lot of days have been like that one over the past couple of months; I find myself sitting at home or riding my road bike, all the while experiencing some sort of emotional high while I gulp in the sensations of watching Braeden throw a blanket over his face to “hide” and then throwing it down to his tummy with an enormous, mouth-open-wide grin on his face, or observing a heron’s body slowly raise itself straight up and down to slow its flight before breaking the smooth surface of Clear Creek.
Today was interesting, probably because a man working on our roof accidentally fell through our bathroom ceiling. Yes, that’s what I said. I was taking a nap with Braeden when Stephanie came in the room and told me that she had just watched a man’s leg smash straight through our bathroom ceiling, releasing a veritable deluge of moldy-looking insulation, pain chips, and sheetrock all over the bathroom and into the hallway. They eventually cleaned up most of the mess, and I drilled a big piece of pressboard to the ceiling to seal our new skylight against any overly-interesting roof critters.
I’m working on my application to join the United States Air Force. I am so excited! I figure this type of opportunity only comes when you’re young, so I’m going for it with all I’ve got. I’ve been running and biking every day for the last week or so, preparing for the medical exam for which I’ve got to lose three or four pounds to meet the qualifications. I’ve got huge blisters on both feet from a bad arch in my shoes, but they’ll go away eventually.
Any other interesting things going on around here...nope

1 comment:

The Busey Family said...

Oh I love that a man fell through your bathroom. That just happened to me yesterday too! Oh wait!