Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tiempo de lluvia

Rain seems to be seeping into my very brain today; I ended up skipping my last three hours of class after what seemed to be an eternity of constant zoning in and out of the professors' lectures. Instead, I have been laboring away on a few term projects which will be due in the next several days. I sometimes feel like school is no different from a person spending years learning Japanese nouns. After they finish, he travels to Japan and is shocked to realize that he cannot communicate even the simplest of ideas, because he has learned no verbs or other parts of grammar. In other words, I spend hundreds of hours each semester learning material which would be useful if I was in a position to apply it, but in my present position I find myself forgetting everything very quickly.
The only thing of which the man has to boast is that he spent hours and hours memorizing nouns, and if he ever gets far enough to learn the grammar then he will be superior to others who have not learned the nouns. That is why we have certificates, diplomas, etc. They serve the purpose of demonstrating to our peers and prospective employers that we, though we may not understand very many things, have at least the work ethic necessary to learn how to connect the information we spent years acquiring.
I am boring even myself with what I am writing today. Last night, the bishopric paid us a visit; they sat on our extremely low and sinky couch, sliding down until their knees seemed nearly level with their faces. I could hardly keep myself from laughing at them during our conversation; nothing is as uncomfortable as sitting knees-up in a business suit. Stephanie, as soon as they had knocked, fled for the back bedroom to get dressed (she had been relaxing in her underwear) while I answered the door. It was a fun time, and Taylor (the second counselor to the bishop) invited me to go fishing with him and his father later this week, mostly because Taylor hates fishing and doesn't enjoy the idea of being stuck alone with his fanatical fly-fisherman father for very long; he needs an excuse to escape after a couple of hours.
Well, this is all I will write today. Chao.

No comments: